Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Artistic Plagiarism.

Plagiarism
the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language andthoughts of another author and the representation of themas one's own original work, as by not crediting the author:It is said that he plagiarized Thoreau's plagiarism of a linewritten by Montaigne. appropriation,infringement, piracy, counterfeiting; theft, borrowing,cribbing, passing off.



So last night i was going through my ritual of checking into Perez Hilton's blog and I saw a post about Nicki Minaj attending Carolina Herrera's Spring 2012 show. I was immediately caught off guard. "That material looks familiar" I thought to myself. You will understand why i was caught off guard when you find out that i have had contact with her stylists in the past. About a year and a half ago, when the song Bedrock was blowing up, i was contacted by her stylist. I want to say that i don't know who her current stylist is and i don't know who made/ designed the outfit she is wearing. Multiple people have worked with her so i don't know who is responsible for this. Anyway, her stylist at the time requested my garments for future press events. Her stylist contact me several times but never followed through. Since i wanted to eventually follow up i contacted her a stylist of hers about a month ago with photos of previous garments as well as new garments. Since i never heard anything, i brushed it off. Little did i know that my designs would be copied.


As you all know i came up with the Puff Ball idea about 3 years ago and have worked very hard to make this a signature mine. I have developed contacts all through out the industry and have my garments waiting to be worn and being sent out to multiple stylists/ celebrities. It would have been one thing if i had no contact with her stylists in the past but i have.


I was destroyed when i saw these photos. I was in tears by the fact that she was next to Anna Wintour. One of my personal icons and someone that i admire. I had hoped that one day she would see my garments and she would have seen it as a completely original idea. After the tears had gone i thought to myself "how could someone copy my work". Something that i have put so much of my time into. Also, im disturbed by the fact that the knock off doesn't look that good to begin with. I with they would have just had me send out a garment that was well done and wearable art. I want people to know that it was my idea, yet i also want people to know that i would not send out a garment like this. I would have made the design less intricate and simpler. 



Im sure this post will make people unsettled or mad. People don't like to be called out. But now its time to stand up for myself and all other independent designers out there. This happens every day to designers that work hard to make their dream come true. Time, money, sweat, all of themselves into their work. It is not right or ok that people get away with copying someone else's work. We should stand together in the fashion industry. We should respect each other. Not rip each other apart. I understand its competitive but we can still respect each other. I hope that this post brings light to artistic plagiarism.



Always stand up for your art and for yourself. Im proud of my work and I am proud to stand up for my hard work.

Photos: Tumblr
           Colorlines
           SomedaynewYorker owned photos.

10 comments:

Mal Baker said...

Babe, keep your head up! You do beautiful work and you will be recognized for it.

Lexi-Lupa said...

I have been a follower of your work for a few years, and having had my work plagiarized in the past, I must say that I am so incredibly sorry that this had to happen to you. I understand the shock and disgust that you are feeling right now, and my only advice to you is to use this situation in your favor. Fight for it. These designs are yours. You have put time and effort and soul into these beautiful pieces. Fight for them!

xo-Lexi

Jatnna said...

That is absolutely terrible. Continue fighting, girl! You deserve the credit. Please keep us updated about this!

Megs said...

I'm so sorry that this happened to you but I'm happy that you stood up for yourself!

I saw someone at Burning Man this year wearing a bikini top with the same puff balls. Is this one of your designs? http://on.fb.me/ojuxVh

Weuji Hikikomori said...

Hey, you know what? You are and will be recognised cos this plagiarism thingy has been noted on huffington post. Am sure you will get your due rewards one day!

good luck!
noobbie.com

Weuji Hikikomori said...

Hey you know what? I'm sure u will eventually be rewarded for your hardwork. As a matter of fact, I got to know about this site cos huffington reported on the plagiarism by Nicki Minaj (shame!).
So, it's not all that bad! It's free publicity eh?!

Good luck to you!
Weuji
http://noobbie.com

nikki said...

well said girl..I've had 2 of my swim suits copied and when I found out, it left me in pieces.. and it was by a well know swimsuit company in the rockabilly scene. I commend you for standing up !! Us Indie designers need to stick together!
peace n love , Nikki b

nikki said...

ell said girl..I've had 2 of my swim suits copied and when I found out, it left me in pieces.. and it was by a well know swimsuit company in the rockabilly scene. I commend you for standing up !! Us Indie designers need to stick together!
peace n love , Nikki b

Style, She Wrote said...

I was so outraged when I read about this on the news today -- kudos to you for calling Ms. Minaj out on her bad behavior! Credit should be given when credit is due! xo style, she wrote

Nina said...

wow you are so amazing, talented and strong, keep fighting and believing always!!

fashionableroad.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails